As it heats up, the shorts go on and the grilling season starts. As it gets into full swing, it is important to understand that as exciting as grilling is, there are dangers that can have enormous consequences if not heeded. Here are some tips to make your grilling season a happy and safe time for you and your family.
There are two main types of grills – charcoal and propane. They vary in ease of use, flavor, functionality, and various other things that are individual to the griller. Each type has vastly different safety precautions that must be considered when using them to cook since they operate with two different types of fuel. The National Fire Protection Association has provided some standard practices in grill safety for both propane and charcoal grills.
Propane grills are fueled by a propane tank attached to it, and regulated with knobs that adjust the amount of gas released to fuel the flame. Some things to consider when using a propane grill are the following:
- Make sure that the connectors that attach the propane tank to the grill burner components are tight and are not emitting excess gas
- Check the propane tank hose for any possible leaks.
- If you smell gas while cooking, turn off the burners and gas tank.
- If you turn off the grill and the suspected leak stops, do not use the grill until you have it professionally serviced. If the smell continues, step away from the grill and call the fire department immediately. Do not move the grill or attempt to stop the leak yourself.
The NFPA also has steps that they recommend when using charcoal grills. Here are some of their tips.
- Use a charcoal chimney starter, electric charcoal starters or charcoal starter fluid to light the
- Never add charcoal fluid or any other flammable liquids to the fire.
When grilling is completed, let the coals completely cool before disposing in a metal container.
Create The Perfect Grill Space
Grilling is a serious project, and creating the perfect environment for the grilling connoisseur is a daunting task. You want plenty of space to grill, as well as a comfortable space for your guests to enjoy the food.
River City Deck and Patio are experts in creating an environment that any family would love to grill in. From the perfect deck or patio to an outdoor kitchen, River City Deck and Patio can take your ideas and make them a reality. With premium materials, expert craftsmanship and warrantied work, you can rest assured a River City product is something you’ll be proud of. Contact us today for a consultation to make your dream a reality.